Siglo VI - A tale of aromatherapy

Cigar conversation.

Moderator: Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Theodore S. Maul, Esq.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:25 pm

I am sad to report that the crown jewel and de facto ruler of my humidor is gone. I consumed the Cohiba Siglo VI some time ago and though I miss its presence I have no regrets.

It was undoubtedly one of the finest, if not the finest, smoking moments of my life. I accompanied it with some Niepoort Ruby Porto and spent well over an hour puffing those incredible aromas. The only proper way to do this was donning a fez and a smoking jacket (mine is more like a robe). Several glasses of port were emptied in the process.

Since the purchase it aged in my humidor for about three months waiting for a suitable occasion. While this probably didn't yet affect the aroma favourably I was happy to see that the stogie had not withered either. Finally after we had settled to the new manor it was time to light up.

What happened next is best left to described by more eloquent people than I who also sport more expertise in all matters tabaca. I didn't write down any tasting notes as I was far too busy enjoying it. All I can say is I give it
:smokingsun: :smokingsun: :smokingsun: :smokingsun: :smokingsun: / 5.

Finally, here is a picture of the ingredients for some excellent aromatherapy.

And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:29 pm

[quote="Theodore S. Maul, Esq."]It was undoubtedly one of the finest, if not the finest, smoking moments of my life. I accompanied it with some Niepoort Ruby Porto and spent well over an hour puffing those incredible aromas. The only proper way to do this was donning a fez and a smoking jacket (mine is more like a robe). Several glasses of port were emptied in the process.

quote]

What a wonderful experience for you to build upon good sir. I have a penchant for Cohiba Especiales. I can only describe them as a four course meal with dessert! As there are so many counterfits out there these days, I have enlisted the aide of a student of music who has a visa to travel back and forth to La Habana and supply me directly with a box or two each visit. In exchange I am tutoring her in original instrument classical music, with a focus on Handel and Hayden. I am still trying to resolve how I can work the marimbas in, but I digress. If I may, I shall make one humble suggestion for your next foray into a truly world class smoke. Whilst Port is a fine pairing for such a cigar, a Ruby is a bit plebian for this occasion. If your feeling flush then by all means uncork a vintage from Dow, Graham, or Taylor Fladgate. Believe me...The cigar will pay you back! Regards.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:21 am

I do quite like Graham but this time Ruby was the only one present so I went with her. A fantastic bouquet for the price I must add. Sometimes I have sherry with a cigar, sometimes port, and then there's the occasional rum.

I still have two Cohibas left: a corona and a robusto. I've had the especiales before and they are truly :tippin:. I ordered this batch from Switzerland where an authorised Habanos dealer sells them at reasonable prices. The Siglo VI was from Hajenius which is a wonderful establishment in Amsterdam.

Tomorrow I think I'll go for Hoyo de Monterrey even if Montecristo would be more fitting with Ron Edmundo Dantes.

Rum Runner

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:57 am

Dear sir. I am encouraged by your obvious taste in cigars. However, I think you may have missed my point in the Port selection. Ruby is a style. Graham, Dow, Niepoort, Taylor Fladgate are producers. Vintage is distinct from ruby or tawny or late bottled vintage. Ruby Port is fine with a farmhouse cheddar over a ploughmens lunch. Ruby Port does not have a bouquet..It has an aroma...Vintage Port has Bouquet! I simply suggest do not rob Peter to pay Paul. Define when you will break out a great smoke and then go all out to compliment it with the appropiate accourtrements. Regards
Theodore S. Maul, Esq. wrote:I do quite like Graham but this time Ruby was the only one present so I went with her. A fantastic bouquet for the price I must add. Sometimes I have sherry with a cigar, sometimes port, and then there's the occasional rum.

I still have two Cohibas left: a corona and a robusto. I've had the especiales before and they are truly :tippin:. I ordered this batch from Switzerland where an authorised Habanos dealer sells them at reasonable prices. The Siglo VI was from Hajenius which is a wonderful establishment in Amsterdam.

Tomorrow I think I'll go for Hoyo de Monterrey even if Montecristo would be more fitting with Ron Edmundo Dantes.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:19 am

I took the liberty of fixing the formatting in your most recent correspondence as I could not find your words amidst mine.

I am quite aware that Ruby is a style, my sentence was merely a play on words. Had I chosen Graham I would have addressed the bottle as him. In general I'm particular to Tawny but this time her younger sister Ruby stole my heart.

Rum Runner

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Theodore S. Maul, Esq. wrote:I took the liberty of fixing the formatting in your most recent correspondence as I could not find your words amidst mine.

I am quite aware that Ruby is a style, my sentence was merely a play on words. Had I chosen Graham I would have addressed the bottle as him. In general I'm particular to Tawny but this time her younger sister Ruby stole my heart.
Dear Ted. Thank you for correcting my format error. This forum posting thingy is a bit daunting at times for a book learner. Your play on words did bring a smile. I think I may have met Ruby and Tawny at a Paul Desmond Club some years ago but, that is another story. Whilst you enjoyed the cigar immensly, do you dispute my premise that a higher calibre style Port would have enhanced your experience of the cigar, and vice versa?

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:13 pm

Rum Runner wrote: Whilst you enjoyed the cigar immensly, do you dispute my premise that a higher calibre style Port would have enhanced your experience of the cigar, and vice versa?
Of course not and I promise I will make an effort to procure some tawny or vintage next time the occasion arises. :tippin:

Sincerely Yours,

T. Maul

• Information