Brandy Recommendations?

Talk about different kind of brandies here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Scottes

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 pm

I love most things about cognac - except its price. I have no qualms about drinking armagnac just because it's not cognac. Simply put, I appreciate a good brandy.

I would say that smoothness is my primary concern closely followed by complexity. And I prefer sweet to dry. An ultra smooth but boring brandy is boring to me. A wildly complex brandy with a flaming burn would be avoided. Something in the middle is preferred.

Finally, price is not really an issue as long as I know I'll enjoy it.

So - any recommendations?

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:14 pm

Scottes wrote:I love most things about cognac - except its price. I have no qualms about drinking armagnac just because it's not cognac. Simply put, I appreciate a good brandy.

I would say that smoothness is my primary concern closely followed by complexity. And I prefer sweet to dry. An ultra smooth but boring brandy is boring to me. A wildly complex brandy with a flaming burn would be avoided. Something in the middle is preferred.

Good day sir. Have you tried any of the better Spanish brandies? They tend to be more lush and "sweet" than the French counterparts. Conde de Osborne in a bottle designed by Dali can be found in your parts. I assure you it goes down like baby Jesus in velvet pants! Regards.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Scottes

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Consider it on my list of articles to procure.

Thanks you Sir!

lady ermenegildo zegna
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:42 pm

a most delightful source on brandy:
http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/nie ... randy.html
"I drink to make other people interesting." — George Jean Nathan

paulipbartender

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:30 pm

We are fortunate to do a lot of work with the fine people at Courvoisier, which has meant many a trip to Le Paradis at Jarnac and late nights supping XO.

I thought you cognac lovers might be interested in a range of historically named cocktails we created for CV;

Borodino berry
A small town near Moscow, this was the only full-scale confrontation between the French and the Russians. Victory at this bloody battle left the French with a clear road to Moscow.
Glass: Hiball
Method: Muddle the blackberries, lemon juice and sugar, add the Chambord and Courvoisier, fill with crushed ice and top up with soda
Garnish: blackberry and lemon slice

50ml Courvoisier VSOP Exclusif
15ml Chambord
6 blackberries
2 b/s Vanilla sugar
Dash of lemon juice
Dash of soda

Sarogossa sour
Saragossa in Spain was the site of a series of sieges. After 6 months the French were victorious, while the Spanish reported over 50,000 losses.
Glass: Tumbler
Method: Muddle the pineapple and orange wedges, then add the other ingredients, shake and strain over crushed ice Garnish: Pineapple leaf and wedge

15ml Cointreau
4 pineapple wedges
1 orange wedge
Dash of lemon juice
10ml Amaretto
Dash egg white
Dash gomme

Montpellier cherry
Napoleon’s father was a lawyer who encouraged his children to think as radicals. When his beloved father died in Montpellier, when Napoleon was just 16, his attitude changed and he was forced to provide for his family.
Glass: Rocks
Method: Muddle the cherries, add Courvoisier, Cherry Herring, gomme and lemon and shake. Strain into ice filled glass and top up with soda
Garnish: Cherry

10ml Cherry Herring
4 black cherries
Gomme
15ml Lemon juice
Dash of soda

Bastille blazer
The storming of the Bastille on July 14th 1789 led to the French revolution. The coup d'état of 18 Brumaire VIII (November 9, 1799) put an end to the period of instability – after which Napoleon was made First Consul and set him on the road to greatness
Glass: Balloon
Method: Warm cognac in glass and ignite using zest from orange peel. Add raspberries and garnish

50ml Courvoisier
VSOP Exclusif
15ml Grand Marnier
3 raspberries
Orange peel

Rivoli twist
The battle was an attempt to recover control of northern Italy after Austro-French peace negotiations broke down. The battle proved to be one of Napoleon’s most decisive conquests. Undermanned, it was only his superior knowledge of warfare that led to victory, the surrender of Mantua and the control of the Po Valley.
Glass: 7oz Martini glass
Method: Add all ingredients to Boston glass and give brisk stir before adding ice. Add ice and shake vigorously. Double strain into glass
Garnish: orange zest
35ml Courvoisier
VSOP Exclusif
15ml Apricot Brandy
5ml dark Cacao
2 bar spoons fine shredded marmalade

Regent XV (15)
The Regent XV is named after the famous Regent Diamond, which was once part of Louis XV’s crown and was worn by Marie Antoinette before being placed into the hilt of Napoleon’s coronation sword
Glass: Pre – chilled balloon
Method: Stir over cubed ice and strain
Garnish: Lemon zest

15ml Creme de Cassis
10ml Dry Vermouth

Rum Runner

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:12 pm

Scottes wrote:I love most things about cognac - except its price. I have no qualms about drinking armagnac just because it's not cognac. Simply put, I appreciate a good brandy.

I was weaned on Delamain, Pale and Dry. A very fine house in my subjective opinion. The intensity and elegance of fine claret refined into a spirit. I have also found a weakness for the produce of Ragnaud Sabourin.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

• Information