Drinks for the summer

Share your ingenious monstrosities and horrific blasphemies here.

Moderator: paulipbartender

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:03 pm

Summers here and everybodys after the most refreshing cocktails to quench their thirst. Last night I had nice cocktail at a bar that was quite refreshing:

Mix in a Highball glass
Muddled lime
2 cl vodka
2 cll Bacardi Razz and Bacardi Apple
Filled up with Schweppes Russchian

Post your favorite summer cocktails in this thread. Stay thirsty my friends.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dood

Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Summertime is MOJITO TIME!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:30 pm

It is but they never have any mint so I have to get substitutes. I should consider bringing my own mint to bars.
--

Dood

Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:29 pm

Count Silvio wrote:It is but they never have any mint so I have to get substitutes. I should consider bringing my own mint to bars.
Well, I don't know how it is over there, but here it's considered bad form to order a mojito at a bar that doesn't count it among their house specialties - unless the bar's business is VERY slow. The same holds for Old Fashioneds.

If you're in a bar and need a summer drink, I'd go for a Hemmingway Daiquiri.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:21 pm

I don't think a Mojito should be a specialty, should it? Most bars here offer mostly generic brands so I don't know if its bad form on my behalf if I want something different than standard tap beer or cider. I still think the biggest bars with outside patios should be able to make a mojito during the summer.

I never ask a Mojito if the bartender is busy btw.

Now that we're talking about Mojitos, might as well talk about making Mojitos. What is your favorite Mojito recipe and how do you avoid tearing the mint leaves thus avoiding having a jungle in your mouth?
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:49 pm

I was experimenting with Mojitos some more today and I tried the Hemingway Mojito recipe from La Bodeguita Del Medio and the result was quite good.
  • Pour simple syrup in a highball glass or a collins glass, about 1.5-2 cl (depending how viscous the syrup is)
  • Add juice of half a lime
  • Take two mint sprigs with the leaves still attached and make them into a bunch and put them in the glass
  • Pour some club soda
  • Muddle the mint so that the club soda begins to foam slightly
  • Add a measure of Havana Club Añejo Blanco or three year old HC
  • Fill glass with ice and top it up with club soda
  • Stir with a spoon and garnish with a mint sprig
I didn't use Havana Club but Plantation Rum Jamaica but perhaps the Havana Club would be a better rum to use with a Mojito. Regarldess which rum I used the Mojito was quite fresh, not too sweet, not too sour and I didn't get any mint pieces in my mouth.
:cheers:
--

Dood

Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:18 pm

I generally add the soda last and give a quick stir.

To avoid getting mint pieces in my mouth I find that the use of crushed ice seems to suppress the mint uprising fairly well.

Lately I've been a big fan of the Depaz Midnight Mojito, or at least my variation on it...I use 2 oz. of rum, 1 oz. of syrup, and I do NOT serve it in a martini glass.

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:27 pm

Count, the Havana Club Añejo Blanco (or the 3 years) is the rums to use for a Mojito rather than plantation Jamaica..in my opinion..

I LOVE mint!

Cheers!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:17 pm

Next time I shall use Blanco or Añejo Especial!
--

tiare
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:26 am

I have lately been very fond of the 3 anos..i don`t know why, i just like it..and sometimes i use half of that with half of the blanco.
A Mai Tai a day...

Amarantha

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:51 am

tiare wrote:Count, the Havana Club Añejo Blanco (or the 3 years) is the rums to use for a Mojito rather than plantation Jamaica..in my opinion..
Oh, good :) I got that one at my local because it's what they had, and seemed affordable enough, but I'd meant to do some searching and see if there was something more appropriate I should be seeking out. So thanks for the vote of reassurance.

Btw, tiare, saw you over on eGullet. 'Tis a small world :P

tiare

Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:55 pm

You can never go wrong with Havana Club Blanco in a Mojito! ot the 3 anos which i like a lot as well.

Another nice recipe that i have picked up from the MOR, http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/sho ... php?t=1638 and Hank is to make coconut water icecubes and also add Coconut water in your Mojito. Another variation is to add Sugarcane Juice.
Amarantha wrote: Btw, tiare, saw you over on eGullet. 'Tis a small world :P
Who are you on eGullet Amarantha?
A Mai Tai a day...

Amarantha

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm Amarantha :wink: But I don't have an avatar there. They were afraid Scott Adams might sue them if they let me keep it, and I haven't thought of a better one yet.

I tend to mostly lurk, though. I post a bit in the Australia forum, and somewhat less frequently in the beer/cocktail fora, and very occasionally in the cooking forum.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:43 pm

Introducing mint and chili. Below I made a couple of cocktails using the Glen's Mojito recipe from Appleton. The first one is just for show but the second one is what it actually looked like. Instead of stalks I just used leaves.

Glen's Mojito

• 50ml Appleton Estate V/X
  • Half a lime
  • 15ml sugar syrup
  • 4 stalks fresh mint
  • 1/4 medium hot deseeded chilli
  • 50ml D&G Ginger beer
Chop the lime half into 9 pieces and muddle with the sugar syrup in the base of a highball glass. Chop the chilli and gently bruise with the mint leaves. Add the Appleton VX and fill the glass with crushed ice.

Churn with the base of a bar spoon and top with ginger beer and fresh crushed ice. Add two straws and garnish with a mint stalk and more chopped chilli.[/i]

Image Image

I think the chili overpowers the mint so I recommend using a little less. Because I probably used too much chili this drink was extraordinarily refreshing and burning at the same time. I used some soda water and more ginger beer to even out the taste a little bit. Occasionally it was quite good with a hint of chili here and there but occasionally you'd get the burning.
--

tiare

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:51 pm

NICE Count! will go and get some chili today.. :cheers: nice pics.

Chili is really nice with mint and as garnish very striking but as you said, a little goes a long way inside of the drink itself.
A Mai Tai a day...

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks Tiare. I'd love to see how you make this cocktail work. Don't forget the ginger beer while buying the chilis!
--

tiare

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:10 am

Wanted to try this one but discovered the Ginger beer is finished..post it another time!
A Mai Tai a day...

forrest
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:21 am

Summer closes, and here till the end i stand!!!

3 Parts Cruzan Guava
1 Part Stones Ginger Wine
4 1 Inch pieces of Cantaloupe- Muddled

Shake with Ice
Strain into chilled Cocktail Glass
Garnish as you will.

forrest

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:24 am

This is not perfect, but it is very good. . . .

3 Parts Lemon Hart 151
2 Part Cherry Herring
2 Part Lemon Juice

Shake? Strain into Cocktail Glass
Garnish With Cherry
Last edited by forrest on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

forrest

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:29 am

2 Parts Cruzan Clipper 120
1 Part Cherry Herring
1/2 Part Lime

Shake Vigorously
Strain into Cocktail Glass

• Information