Mahiki Rum Launches Exclusively at Selfridges

News
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:21 pm

Mahiki, the world famous Mayfair club, celebrity favourite and home to the 'pieces of eight' treasure chest cocktail, has launched its own range of premium rums, available exclusively at all Selfridges stores from 16 June, 2008. The new Mahiki Rum range consists of Mahiki White Rum (£28.99), Mahiki Gold Rum (£29.99) and Mahiki Cognac Cask Rum (available August 2008), each distilled and blended in Barbados, the world's oldest rum - producing island, and created by one of the rum industry's leading experts and mixologists, Papa Jules.

This week Papa Jules will be in Wonder Room at Selfridges' London store offering samples of the rum and giving cocktail making demonstrations so please go down an say Aloha!

For a limited period Mahiki Rum is offering Selfridges' customers the chance to win a free trip to Barbados. To enter, simply buy a bottle of Mahiki Rum from Selfridges and fill in the competition entry form. Other prizes include a private cocktail making lesson for you and your friends with Papa Jules and a table at Mahiki on a Friday or Saturday night with £500 of free drinks.

See you in the wonder room!

http://www.mahikirum.com
http://www.selfridges.com
tel: 0800 123 400

Frontpage post with larger images of bottles and rum description.

They have quite nice bottle design. The Cognac Cask Rum interests me the most.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Great post, thanks. I have a special interest in Barbadian rums so of course, this caught my eye. Checking out their website though, Mahiki has the appearance and influence of the marketing department, from bottle, to label, to backstory. The principal,"Papa Jules" is a Frenchman who appears to have made his mark as a highly successful barman and promoter. "Mahiki" appears his latest project. Jules was involved in tiki, from whence the rum's name apparently comes. How appropriate this is for a Barbadian rum is debatable.

According to the site their rums are blends of rums provided by local Barbadian distillers, and I am trying to determine just who these are. I do wonder whether "Papa" is master blender, and if not, just who is. I'd love to know if Seales is the distiller, as this would be a good thing, but doubt it, as Richard Seales has made pretty clear if he distills it, he blends and bottles it.

I hope to have some info soon, but I'm gonna keep an eye on this one...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:53 am

From Papa Jules
Hi There

Hope you are all well, Paul hope you enjoyed the party!!

Just to give you a bit of info on the Mahiki rum

Mahiki White Rum – This aged rum for around 2 years in bourbon barrel uses a blend of pot and column distilled rums to ensure it is clean and slightly sweet. It is a versatile rum and savoured with a mixer or served as part of a more elaborate cocktail.

Mahiki Gold Rum – This aged rum uses a blend of pot and column distilled rums to ensure it has a long and sweet finish. It has then been aged in Bourbon and Madeira casks in order to create a full – bodied rum which can be enjoyed on its own, with a mixer or as part of a more elaborate cocktail.

Mahiki Cognac Cask Rum – This long aged rum is a blend of the finest special reserve pot and column distilled Barbadian rums. It is one of the few rums in the world to be born from a double maturation. the first maturation is in bourbon barrel and The second ageing is in Cognac casks of French Limousin oak which infuses the rum with a rich complexity

they are not sale for £28 and £35, it is only for selfridges but there every thing is expensive. Once I bought a watermelon there for £14.

you can buy them thought from Venus at the price of £15 and £16.

I started this project 8 months ago, I loved it as I had to go to the caraibean every month. Richard and myself worked on the blend.

I hope that it will do well.

lot of love, when you are in london drop me a line and You will be my guest in Mahiki.
jules@mahiki.com

Papa Jules
The bottle has been design by Roger Clarke company, a bajan business/surfer man. The choice of the bottle, is because my best friend who developed Monkey shoulder whisky in UK had this bottle and I just wanted to piss him off. I like the shape too, for me it is a mix of modern and traditionnal bottle of rum. One day when I will be doing enough volume, it could be a possibility to bottle it in UK.
--

Capn Jimbo

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Well, when it's time to eat crow, I'm the first in line. I would never have believed it, but I have been in email communication with Mahiki and it turns out the local distiller with whom they are working is none other than the great Richard Seales - so you can count on this rum to be a winner, a true Barbadian rum of top quality. Seales produces nothing less. Seales makes it clear that if he makes it, he bottles it (which would counter Jules intention to later bottle it in the UK) and that any age statements indicate that every drop in the bottle is at least the age stated (or older).

Remember where you heard this - citations are most welcome...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:43 am

I'm currently waiting for an e-mail from Papa Jules, I too have posted some questions about these rums. Who were you in contact with from Mahiki if I may ask?
--

Capn Jimbo

Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:20 pm

Count, my approach was anything but devious. Simply clicked on the "Contact" link and dropped em an email...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:51 am

I have received samples for both the White rum and the Gold rum. Reviews should appear on the frontpage sometime next week.
--

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information