Rum From Seven Fathoms Deep

News
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat May 10, 2008 12:04 am

Seven Fathoms is a new small batch premium rum from George Town, Grand Cayman. It is made entirely from locally grown and pressed sugar cane. It is also the first distilled spirit made locally in the Cayman Islands and will not initially be available anywhere else.

What makes this rum so special is the unique aging process that takes place underwater, seven fathoms deep to be exact (12.8 meters, 42 feet). This aging technique has previously been used to age wines, but this is the first time that rum has been aged in this fashion.

“By aging our spirits underwater, we are able to take advantage of the kinetic properties of the ocean
tides and currents to create a very unique flavour profile and a remarkably smooth rum”

The specially designed oak barrels are sealed and submerged, to quietly rest in the caring touch of the ocean until the ideal balance of oak characteristics has been achieved. In contrast to traditional aging techniques, the underwater aging process is accelerated by the tides and waves, making it possible for the rum to take on characteristics of much older rums.
Read the entire news article on the frontpage.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat May 10, 2008 2:34 am

I am not sure if I want to laugh or cry after reading that one.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat May 10, 2008 7:54 am

Meaning?
--

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat May 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Being ever the cynic, I cannot help but look at this as being a bit of a "stunt" rum.

The effects of temperature (either in extremes or constants) and kinetic motion has long been known in the ageing of beer, wine and spirits. Think of the history of India Pale Ale, Port and Sherry, and Cognac.

Modern producers have employed all manner of induced ageing to try to replicate what was born of shipping libations aboard sailing vessels. For the most part they have fallen by the wayside. That one French wine producer sunk a few dozen cases of bottles in the cold Atlantic hardly makes a case to my mind.

Producers of IPA, Port and Sherry, and Cognac do not seem to feel compelled to go to such lengths nowadays. Possibly with the notable exception of Kelt who sent a few barrels of Cognac inside a container on top of a cargo ship around the world.

I applaud these chaps on producing a rum within the Caymans.

It just seems to be more about the "gimmick" than the rum, at least on the face of it.

I have not tasted the stuff...If ever I get the chance, I promise to keep an open mind and palate.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon May 12, 2008 7:09 am

I see your point, it is certainly a powerful marketing trick and it shall be seen how the rum tastes. I should make a note that these special containers that also prevent from too much salt getting in, do not spend more than a few months underwater. I also got an answer regarding aqualung Pirates:

How are the barrels protected underwater?
"From the elements, they are secured very soundly from an engineering point of view, we have gone through quite a few designs. From would-be pirates and other rum theiving plunderers we maintain the location of the underwater aging a very tightly held secret!" - Walker Romanica
--

AngelSword

Fri May 16, 2008 3:51 am

Think of what they could save on warehouse space!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun May 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Walker Romanica, the Co-Founder of Seven Fathoms Rum was kind enough to send me some more answers to your questions. I am sure you will find this interesting.
Walker Romanica wrote:Why do we do it?

Firstly, if you believe in barrel agitation, (and there are valid arguments from people who both do and dont) we are benefiting from an unparalled level of it. The extent that we agitate would not be economically feasible to do in a traditonal storage facility.

Secondly the barometric changes inside the barrels from the tides and the temperature difference adds to the bourbon and oak extraction, literally pushing the spirit in and out of the wood twice a day. We find this gives us some great subtle characteristics usually found in much older rums.

We also have a family run diving operation here in the Caymans, one of the worlds top diving destinations. As such, the actual transportation of the rum is not as terribly arduous as you might imagine.

Every distillery makes use of what resources they have available to them, whether it be a particular source of water from a nearby creek or spring, high seasonal temperature variations, peat bogs, et cetera. For us here, we have pristine easily accessible waters 50 feet from our distillery doors.

In the end of course, the proof is in the rum, and that is really the only reason for any part of the process. It helps us acheive a very smooth flavor profile we are happy with.
--

GeoD
How did you find Refined Vices?: Search Engine

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:16 pm

I noticed this thread is approx 4yrs old. I just saw a scuba diving TV show that featured this rum and how they age it in the sea. Has anyone tried it yet? If so, could you post your review?
Geo D
Rum Tasting Portfolio:
See my profile interests for my
rum tastings.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 am

Hi GeoD, welcome to Refined Vices!

I tried it shortly at the RumFest two years ago I think but I didn't have the time to do a proper tasting so all I can say it wasn't bad. :| I'm pretty sure some of the forum members have tried it though, lets hope they respond with a review.

What was the name of the TV show by the way?
--

GeoD

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:21 am

Hi Count Silvio!! Thx for the welcome. I've visited your site for quite some time because of your rum reviews. Great reviews by the way! Image Today I noticed you have a forum and I decided to join. The show was on HDNet and it was called "Into the Drink". It was only a half an hour long and each segment received approx 10min. They showed the special casks and how they store them in coral caves for aging. I'm sure the cask they showed was for show only. The mother load is secretly stored away and is constantly being moved to keep the pirates from plundering their booty. Arrrr! From what Ive read online a bottle of Seven Fathoms runs approx $40. Do you think it's worth the price for a rum aged only two years?
Geo D
Rum Tasting Portfolio:
rum tastings.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Age isn't everything but I think it is safe to say there are far better rums to be had for that kind of money. Could be fun to have it in the collection, however.
--

GeoD

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:56 am

I will agree with that statement Count. The Peruvian rum I tried (Cartavio and Ron Pomalca) were young rums and they exhibited depth and flavors much like some older rums I've tasted. I was very impressed with the Peruvian selction. The only problem with my rum collection it doesn't last very long :mrgreen: and I don't keep the bottles because the wife would have a fit.

Unfortunatey, Seven Fathoms is not available in the USA...yet. So I would have to wait until someone I know goes down to the Cayman Islands.
Geo D
Rum Tasting Portfolio:
rum tastings.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:06 am

Or the UK as it is available at The Whisky Exchange.
--

Marishvcard

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:23 am

The show was on HDNet and it was called "Into the Drink". It was only a half an hour long and each segment received approx 10min. They showed the special casks and how they store them in coral caves for aging. I'm sure the cask they showed was for show only.

cooking
How did you find Refined Vices?: internet

Thu May 03, 2012 10:58 am

It was only a half an hour long and each segment received approx 10min. They showed the special casks and how they store them in coral caves for aging. I'm sure the cask they showed was for show only. The mother load is secretly stored away and is constantly being moved to keep the pirates from plundering their booty.

• Information