Drinks by the Dram

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 am

Ever faced a problem when you couldn't decide between two or more whiskies to buy and when the only thing stopping you from buying both is the price?

I bet it happens to you all the time, unless of course you're some kind of wealthy person, in which case you can stop reading this review now.

Go ahead and sip your expensive spirits in your mahogany floored library full of leather bound first editions and a magnificent fireplace glowing in the background.

For the rest of us it can sometimes be quite a decision but it doesn't necessarily have to be a big one when you've got a service that literally allows you to buy samples by the dram without having to spend a big chunk of your earnings at one go and then ending up disappointed when the bottle you chose wasn't good after all!

Drinks by the Dram is just that kind of concept, making available small and inexpensive samples for most of their products that you can try before spending good money on that bottle you're wondering about.
See the Drams on the frontpage!
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed May 04, 2011 7:13 am

I have just received a small order of these (Connemara Peated Cask Strength, Tyrconnell 10 Year Old Port Finish & Miyagikyou 15 Year Old).

Most impressed with the price, speed of delivery and the secure packaging. Of the content, I shall give these a good go and let you all know my impressions. I am definitely looking forward to the challenge.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Thu May 05, 2011 12:19 pm

Question: Yes, I love the concept buuuuuuuuuuut....

Are the samples provided in glass (not plastic) bottles? Personally, I have a great resistance to plastic containers for the obvious reason - possible leaching of plastic components into the whisky.
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu May 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Dacaqa, I am glad you liked the service. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the whiskies, especially the Japanese one!

Jimbo, they're definitely glass bottles with real wax used to seal it. It's all class. :poppin:
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed May 11, 2011 3:56 am

I have tried the Tyrconnell & the Miyagikyou thus far. Should be able to try the Connemara this weekend.

Tyrconnell: Definitely noticeable port flavour and not much if any whisky feeling to it. It doesn't have the crispiness that whiskys normally do. Any flavours last as long as the drink does. Not something I would personally buy again, but others may want to buy a dram for their own considerations.

Miyagikyou: This was an interesting one (might need to buy a bottle for further 'research' :cheers: ). Has a firm crispiness and a woody undertone whilst drinking. The woodiness stays with you long after the drink is gone. I found this to be quite warming. I don't know how long the Japanese have been making whisky but I may have to research further.

Connemara: Definitely peaty and doesn't have the crispiness of the whisky above. Its very close in impression to the Tyrconnell in the above regard and the fact that it lasts for as long as the drink does but not much longer. Might be worth some more analysis.

Regardless of my views above, I will be trying "Drinks by the Dram" again as it is an excellent and speedy service. I recommend it to all. Make sure you have a sharp knife to cut through the wax.

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Another place, which is 100% trustwvrthy, and offers samples of fantastic whisky selections...

http://whiskysamples.flyingcart.com/

And they have RUM as well..!

• Information