Review: Havana Club 7 años

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Read this review on the front page.
The rum I am reviewing today is one of the first rums that introduced me to the world of rum and really made me appreciate it. The introduction happened at a cigar bar where the owner suggested rum, rather than whiskey, to be had with a cigar. I was intrigued by his suggestion. Previously, perhaps foolishly, I only considered whiskey or cognac to be had with cigars. The rum he recommended to me was none other than the Cuban Havana Club 7 años. What better choices are there for a first review than the rum that got me writing reviews to begin with?

Havana Club 7 is bottled inside a dark, elegant bottle. It reminds me of the 1930s with its red, black and gold coloured label. The bottle is sealed with a screw cap, but for some reason I cannot imagine a cork on the bottle. Despite the screw cap, the bottle doesn’t lose any refinement from its appearance. The brown glass of the bottle prevents you from seeing the real colour of the rum, but in the glass it is a sparkling bright amber.

To the nose, the rum is a bit strong and alcoholic at first, but forthwith comes complex aromas of prune or raisin, and the smell of burnt sugar. Surrounded by all these complex aromas, I can almost detect a hint of vanilla but only for a moment before my senses are overwhelmed by the aromas again.

In the mouth it is slightly tingly and burns in the throat, immediately followed by a soft soothing wave. However, in the palate the rum continues to tingle surprisingly long. Just like in the aroma, I can almost taste vanilla and this time also chocolate, but the sensation soon disappears and is replaced by a tingling in the mouth. The finish leaves a rummy and woody dryness in the mouth and bitter floral tones on sides of the tongue. Long after the bitterness has disappeared, a pleasing buttery flavour keeps lingering in the mouth. Despite the complex aroma, which made me hope for more flavour, the taste remains quite clean.

Havana Club 7 años is good rum and goes well with a Cuban cigar, but it makes me wish there was more to it than just hints of flavours that disappear too soon.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:54 pm

You forgot to mention that in our country - which is a Sahara for rums - this product is terribly overpriced. I haven't tasted it in a while so I can't really comment on the flavours but if you factor in the price I'd give it a 2 out of 5.
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:33 pm

I try to keep the reviews as international as possible so I leave the price out. You are absolutely right about the price in our country, however. Some rums like the Zacapa Centenario are very well priced. Cheaper than in most european countries.

:!: Edit: I still have not developed a ranking system but once it is ready it will be added on each review.
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:59 pm

Surely more than one gentleman has tasted this and can comment on the review?
--

Scottes

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:11 pm

I missed a chance at tasting it a couple weeks ago. I simply forgot, and so did the gentleman who offered it. Granted, we did sample at least 15 rums that night.

But I've heard many good things about it, and it's been on my list for some time. Alas, this government has an issue with Cuban products so that makes it a bit difficult to attain.

Lord Neville Crispin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:41 am

Esteemed Count,

Would it be possible for you to provide us with the colour-ised daguerreotype of the aforementioned alcohol receptacle? Your skill with bromine and chlorine vapors is legendary, and it would be an unfortunate circumstance if those who did not read your epistle on the front page to miss out on the quality of your image by only reviewing it here in the forums.

Your faithful servant,

Lord Neville Crispin

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:54 pm

--

• Information