Review: Angostura 1919

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:16 pm

Read the full review of Angostura 1919 on the frontpage.
This is a bottle that makes you think you're in for something really special. A uniquely numbered square bottle with rounded shoulders and a big black wooden cork that distinguishes it from a crowd of other bottles. The box itself, that Angostura 1919 came in, is quite refined too with its embossed flower pattern on the front. Before opening the bottle and pouring the rum in a glass I can already see that the clarity of Angostura 1919 is spectacular! You can clearly see through the golden liquid when looking through the bottle.

After removing the magnificent cork the room is slowly filled with a deliciously intoxicating scent of vanilla and caramel. In the glass Angostura 1919 is a pale gold with thin legs that soon sink back down the sides of the glass merging back into the rest of the rum. Once settled in the glass the clarity is even more exceptional than it was in the bottle.
Finally managed to publish it. Apologies for the delay.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:40 am

Dear Count. A splendid review. You have illuminated wonderfully on this Rum. You have done a wee bit of work on this one! Compliments to you!
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 am

Thank you Rum Runner. I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in my experience though because it wasn't such a smooth experience most other reviewers have had. They had described it almost candylike which it was at times but none of the reviewers mention the strong floral tones and that had me consider that perhaps I have a bad bottle.
--

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:16 am

Dear Count. Do not be too quick to dismiss your own perceptions. One man's "candy" is another man's "floral". The object of tasting is not to find what others did, rather to find what the rum speaks to you. Can you describe "floral" further? Was it a green leafy smell? or a flowery aroma like a rose or such?

Remember not to isolate any stage of tasting. See each stage as a revelation leading naturally to the next, and irrevocably to a logical conclusion.

Nothing in your review would indicate to me that you have come across a bad bottle. Rather you have come to your conclusion, which stands on its' own merits.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:38 am

Definitely a flowery aroma and taste. Can't say which flower though as I am not a botanist.
--

Rum Runner

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:52 am

Count Silvio wrote:Thank you Rum Runner. I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in my experience though because it wasn't such a smooth experience most other reviewers have had. They had described it almost candylike which it was at times but none of the reviewers mention the strong floral tones and that had me consider that perhaps I have a bad bottle.
If I may indulge myself a bit here. I think it important to address the issue of "preconceived notions". This is where blind tasting can be of enormous help. Barring that, my approach to rum assessment is as follows. I compiled a list of rums that had gathered medals from various competitions. I did not note what medal was awarded, rather I simply used the fact that it was given a medal as a criteria for being worthy of review. I then go to great lenghts to NOT read detailed reviews of those rums until AFTER I have done my own assessment. Then I go back and retrieve others reviews and see how mine compared, noting differences and similarities. This helps me to maintain a somewhat objective approach and forces me to draw conclusions based on my palate and not on what others have written.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:22 am

Quite so. I would hate to have other reviews affect my own. I do read reviews but only before I buy a rum and after my own review is finished. However if I remember some details about that review I read before buying the rum I may look if I find the same details in my rum but if it is not there then it is not there. I try to forget them when I'm doing my own review.
--

Rum Runner

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:31 am

Well done dear Count!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:34 am

Did you yourself find any flowery aromas and flavours from this rum?
--

Rum Runner

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:06 pm

It's been quite some time since I tasted this rum. My bottle is long drained now. My notes show that at the time I detected herbal camphor aromas and flavors that reminded me of sage or woodruff. Mind you, a one off tasting is just a "snapshot", and rum blends (and one's perceptions) do change.

Sir Niko Earl of Holm
Site Admin

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Another quality review from our fellow connoisseur . Well done to you Sir.
So mote it be.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:24 am

Great review for a great rum at a great value (about $20 in Florida). It seems a number of people had trouble in nailing down this rum, as did my partner Sue Sea and me. After several different tastings we felt as though we were just hitting around the mark, quite frustrating. Finally, finally it hit us upside the head. Two words...

Bananas Foster! No questions asked. Here's our review (Link).

Do pour a dram and see if you don't agree. Lovely...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Welcome to the forums Captain. Which one would you say you prefer, the 1919 or the 1824? I prefer the 1824, 1919 didn't quite do the trick for me, I found the strong floral tones somewhat offputting, the aroma however was absolutely divine.
--

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 pm

Count, I really wish I could find an 1824, all my stores carry 1919. But you can be sure it's on my wishlist...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

The Squire
How did you find Refined Vices?: links

Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:58 am

It amazes me how two vastly different rums have developed in the 1919 and the 1824,

The 1919, light, refreshing almost, full of those floral overtones the Count finds, with a wee bit of ice I develops further, any hint of vanilla vanishes and its aged characteristics become more apparent...when the mecury rises, a wee slice of lime unsqueezed aids in those sweeter almost honey-like tastes in the mouth .

And the older brother...the 1824... the closest thing to licking a rum barrel, heady delightful nose, this rum is a wood lined study, musty old books on the wall and an ancient atlas on the table... Such a joy to sip and savour. To me this rum also has some bizarre characteristics worth exploring...a little water opens it up, tones down the alcohol nose and mellows it out a bit...but when you add ice....UGH!!! the flavours change, the beautiful woody notes disappear, the richness vanishes and you are left with something that tastes like its been left in the barrel too long..its like everything is out of kilter, disorientated and unbalanced...It leaves you wondering if you just spent AU$120 for a fancy bottle and a headache...

The Squire
rumalliance.com
The Squire
Rum Alliance.com

• Information